Sunday 7 October 2012

Cooking with Carrots

Hello There...


Today, I (brooke) decided to make a childhood favourite of mine Carrot Cake. I thought this to be the perfect treat and a great way of using this weeks Carrots.

My Mum would cook from a recipe that had been handed down and handed down, you know the type that is just right and you could never dare use another due to disappoint. Well today I found one that was just as good as my childhood memory..
I cooked Gluten Free Carrot Muffins. This recipe is for a Cake but I decided to make Muffins. They worked just as good and only took 20-25mins to cook rather than 55min ( super great if you always find it hard to wait, I sure do)
Scout and Katrina pop in, perfect timing if you ask me, and the next minute I had both Scout and Spike wanting to be held at the same time, or was it that they knew how to reach those freshly baked Carrot Muffins?!
How have you used your carrots this week? Or the other produce in the box? We would love to know!
xxx
Brooke.

5 comments:

  1. Hello Brooke!

    This is a lovely space. Three cheers for you & your pal & your sweet babes too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good carrot cake is indeed a delicious thing, even if it is as fatty as a big mac with all that canola oil, but I guess that's how you get the moistness! I'm wondering, could you put a few more details on your site describing the contents of a typical box? It's hard to assess the value without a bit more info. Good luck with the business - though it's a bit of cliche the whole inner urban-connected-nurturing-community thing, it's still a nice, social business that should be heaps of fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each week we pack the boxes with Seasonal Organic Produce that we select on the spot at the Market. It is based on the quality of the produce and a balance of nutrition and diversity.
    Each week we post what is included in the boxes on this Blog.
    We personally like the element of surprise and so do the regulars, but we can understand that this isn't for everyone but it does and has worked for many of the residents in Abbotsford.
    I guess everyone has a different way of connecting with there community in a positive way. How do you connect with your community?
    What is your name Anonymous??
    From
    Brooke and Katrina
    Abbotsford Wooden Box.
    p.s we do have heaps of fun!!
    p.p.s we made our carrot cake with olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi the post above was from me, Shona - sorry I clicked submit before I put my name it.
    Understand totally the surprise idea - that's part of the fun, getting ingredients you might not normally think of, then getting creative. A better question would be the approximate weight of say the medium box, as it's a bit hard to tell from the pics.
    ps. Good idea on olive oil, although I'm guessing you wouldn't want one with too much flavour, lest if overpower the cake/sweetness - unless of course the taste of olives and carrot cake go together!
    pps. I connect with my community by being a good neighbour - just little things like looking out for the older people on the street, knocking on the door to make sure their ok and we also have a seed swapping business in our street. We all pick a particular type of plant we like, do a bit of minor breeding, then give the seeds to each other. So far we've had gorgeous tomatoes, asparagus (in now!) and on the flower side, some magnificent poppies.
    All these are just small things, don't take much time, but give everybody a really good feel about their little area of the world (I'm in Collingwood).

    ReplyDelete